Everytime I think about writing, life gets in the way. It is not like we have been very busy, it is just that there is alot of crap going on and it makes me tired. So here is a random account of all that has been going on in Becca land. Warning - rambling ahead.
Emma has been into weddings lately. Not sure why, but she has plans to marry her Daddy and told me that I would get a new ring when I marry Nathan. Somehow I don't have the heart to correct her. So we have to have the "dancing part" and she puts on classical music and we all have to dance our wedding dances, while here dolls and stuffed animals watch on chairs she sets up. Quite a production! So on our anniversary Oct 23, we decided to watch our wedding video with her. Yes I said video, 9 years ago, DVD recording was considered new technology. Let's just say that I never thought I looked old or my friends had changed until I watched the video. Holy mackrel I was a baby! Some friends/family look older, others thinner, fatter, prettier...well you get the point. There were so many people who had passed on and thought it was hard to see my grandmother, her happiness radiated outward that day adn I am grateful that I have it captured on film. Emma, surprisingly, recognized everyone! I am happy to say that the majority of friends that surrounded us that day are still a huge part of our lives.
Now I have been asked many times what I would have done differently, and I think the correct response is supposed to be "nothing at all, it was a perfect day". Yeah right. I was under the impression that if my parents were paying for it, then they called the shots. So many friends were not included on the guest list and my wedding party could have included so many others that were important to us. Unfortunately I can not go back, but I do think that someday we should have a big old celebration of our lives and invite everyone! So dust off some of those old bridesmaid dresses because you never know when an invitation may come in the mail . BTW Don Corne did dance at our wedding, so I consider the day almost perfect :)
Moving on.....for the 3rd year in a row, water damage has reared its ugly head at the end of October in our money pit of a house. Yuppers once again the walls came tumbling down in the downstiars bathroom and family room. The plumber was called and nothing. No leaky pipe, no punctured waste pipe, no easy fix. The assumption was ground water....WTF! Groundwater! As Phil and I stared at each other numbly, our dull eyes held this conversation "32,000 f-ing dollars of underground work and a new water line and it is groundwater." So the high tech plan was to wait it out and dry with fans and the dehumidifier (think we have done this before?). If it is groundwater from the miniscule amount of rain we had, then it would go away. At this point I asked both Phil and super-plumber Jim if it could be the dishwater or from upstairs....no no no no , not possible.
Low and behold no rain = more water. Again WTF!!! This can't be possible. So now the theory is that the water line might be leaking. Yup, the brand new water line we put in last November. Problem though - my brilliant hubby decided that the pipe would be safer if it was inserted into PVC pipe. Good thought, however if the thing leaks, you would never be able to find it. FABULOUS. So we actually got smart this time and called the water company before digging. They tested for chlorine in the leak - negative. If it was a leak from the main line it would have been positive. They also suggested we put a pipe in a 4 ft small hole. If water came bursting out of the ground, it was a leak. If it rose a bit but stayed in teh hole - no leak. The ground was bone dry. Bone dry! Guess it is not groundwater. THis is good news becuse it is not a result of the $32,000+ of work, but bad news because we have no idea what is leaking. May I remind you that the house needs to sell next year, and people tend to frown on homes that are leaking. So for peace of mind I ask Phil to look under the dishwasher just in case. Dishwasher is dry buuuuutttt Holy Water Batman the sink is leaking. That's right folks, the impossible is possible and there was a leak from upstairs. Straight down the wall and behind a gap in the cinderblocks supporting the chimney. So we now have a new faucet and a dry basement. Warped baseboards and some nicked up paneling and a hole in the bathroom wall the only evidence of a disaster....nothing paint and sheetrock can't fix.
Following this delightful event was major Carolyn drama, parent involvement in Carolyn drama, childish behavior between Carolyn and Parents, a disappointed little girl due to Carolyn drama, a discussion with a 3 year old on divorce, 2 sick kids, a decision to divorce, continued drama, parent/teach conferences and birth control from Dr. Hotty. Oh yeah and Halloween too!
A big shout out to Allison and Jenny who visited in the middle of Carolyn drama and helped us cope. Also, kudos to Meri who got the whole story Tursday night.
Notable quotes from my lovely 3 year old:
"I don't want to be like you Mommy. I wanna be like me and I want to be LOUD."
" When is Phil's mother going home."
"Dora's Mommy had 2 babies, why can't you?" My response: "Because Dora's Mommy has alot more money"!
2 comments:
first of all, i'm horrible - happy belated anniversary.
second of all - your wedding!!!! AAAGH. that whole event is one of my favorite memories EVER. :) :) :)
That is a lot of sh**t and no mention of having to take care of a newborn at the same time. You are superwoman!
Post a Comment